Whatever kind one is, the ultimate goal is to beat your bookie. Although soccer is very unpredictable (that is what makes soccer betting all the more tempting), certain guidelines can be followed to increase your chances of winning.
The first rule is to be very clear and confident about how to bet and what to bet. Always take into consideration the following points before betting on a team:
Always check the form and recent performances of the team. If available, read the recent match reports to see if the team was unlucky because of opposition goalkeeper having a great day etc.
Home and Away Records:
Check for home and away statistics. Some teams play better at home ground, some play better away.
Check the history between the two clubs because in soccer, more often than not, the history repeats in year after year.
Be sure always to check for injuries and suspensions. Which players are missing and how important are they. Check the records of the players who are replacing the injured players.
Check for the team motivation and how important it is for them to win the game. Do they really need points, are they interested in the domestic cup and so on.
Check whether the team has had a tight schedule and if they could possibly be tired. Whether the last game they played demoralizing or whether the next game they are going to play more important than the current one.
And also follow these simple guidelines for successful betting:
- Bet only what you can afford.
- Define a staking system and stick to it.
- Do not bet on teams or leagues that you don't know anything about.
- Do not be over-confident because soccer is full of unpredictability.
- In general, stick to betting on league matches, as recent team form is only consistent within the boundaries of that league.
- Do not bet at the beginning of the season. This is important to analyze the recent form of the team
- Avoid outside influences and stick to your analysis and decisions.
- Learn by your mistakes and/or experiences.
- Determine the best return on your bet from various Bookmakers. Comparison of returns from bookmakers is essential, especially on multiple bets or accumulators.
- Bet only when the odds are in you favour. Do not bet for the sake of it.
- Bet only on the smallest combinations of results feasible. 4+ accumulators may give big returns but they are also the hardest to achieve.
- Loyal and regular betters must keep a up to-date record of all bets, returns and losses. This will help you analyze what is going wrong and where.
- Quit when the day is not in your favour.
- Last but the most important one is the mantra of discipline. Betting is all about staying calm and keeping cool especially after a big win or loss. If you have suffered a big loss don't chase it by betting big and adding up to your losses. Again a big win must not lure you to bet more frequently and sporadically, ultimately resulting in loss.